Since all the business is over, I had to get back to work here!! I really needed a good set of curtains for the guest bathroom. I had some very plain covering just to give privacy, but I couldn’t find what I wanted. I was shopping in Wal-Mart and in their clearance area, I found the fabric! It looks sorta Colonial to me. The style where colonist actually block printed their fabric, so for $7.50 and three yards, I was able to make some purdy curtains.
I iron the fabric – all of it. It’s the one thing that I have learned that can make or break a sewing project. With the fabric all flat and stretched, you can see and know that when you mate two fabrics together they will match.
I’m not a great seamstress, even though I have an ancestry of professional seamstresses in my family. Just one of those skill that fade away unless the older generation take the time to teach the younger. It’s a worthy skill to know!!
At this stage I’m not too picky about getting the fabric completely free of wrinkles. As I handle it, it will become more wrinkled. I will do a final pressing that gets everything nice and crisp.
Like I said, I’m not a good seamstress as shown by this picture. I tried to keep the stitch as straight as possible, but I’m sure I wobbled a bit.
About this time is when I realized that this fabric that I bought was used. Pretty funny actually. You can see the previous stitch holes in the fabric and that it was washed. The fraying is from the washing that I didn’t do!
I did a two inch header and a two inch rod pocket for a total of four inches of fold over. I plan on using cafe clips, but I wanted to have the option to use a rod pocket if the mood struck me.
Here it is!